The construction of the Monastery of Saint Columba in 613 began around the first nucleus of the basilica of St. Peter.
The Basilica despite the simplicity of the decorative elements has a magnificent structure that expresses the architectural transition between the Gothic and Renaissance. The pictorial composition of the nave is the work of Bernardino Lanzani dating to 1526-30.
Two flights of stairs on either side of the main chapel allows for the crypt. Here behind a grating a fine mosaic of the first half of the twelfth century.
Entering in the crypt on the right there is a beautiful iron gate that originally enclosed the monastic choir to prevent the prayer of the monks was disturbed by profane eyes . At the center of the crypt the sarcophagus of St. Colomba and the two side walls Lombard barriers used for the tombs of St. Attala St. Bertulfo and respectively second and third Abbot of Bobbio.
Built in the ‘eleventh century, has a modern decor in the three naves and a eighteenth décor in the dome of the transept. In the chapel of St. John, which is accessed from the right transept, you can admire a magnificent fresco of the second half of the fifteenth century, depicting the Annunciation
The original structure dates from 1075 but the facade we see today was amended in 1463. The two majestic towers are original only at the bottom. That right was amended in 1532 by the city that built the belfry, and also obtained permission from the bishop to place the watch. The left was the real bell tower.
The paintings on the body of the church date the end of last century and painted by Louis Morgari while the heavy decoration of the Byzantine style was created by Aristide Secchi in 1896. Lovely the Annunciation of the fifteenth century. found in 1980 in the chapel of St. John during some restoration work.
San Lorenzo Church
The first report on the church of S. Lorenzo goes back to 1144, but the manufacturer is unknown and the purpose of its construction.?Towards the end of the thirteenth century, the church is administered by a lay confraternity named ‘Beats’ or “Disciplined”: initially it depended on the Monastery of St. Colombano and after 1448 came under the direction of the bishop.
The original church can still see some on the left side of the facade. It was abandoned in 1609, was later enlarged and consecrated in 1694, after bringing down much of the previous building.?The bell tower underwent alteration to the 1779, retaining some original features. The interior has a nave: the wooden choir belongs to the seventeenth century.
On the outside wall of the right side there are two tombstones from the ancient church: one shows a small cross (cm. 27 x 21) with the ends dovetailed, and the other bears the following inscription:
+ OBERTUS DE SIGNORINO FECIT
HANC CRUCEM PROUD
Sanctuary of Our Lady of Help
Out of Door Nova stands the seventeenth-century Sanctuary of Our Lady of Help, built, they say, to preserve an image of the Virgin believed to be miraculous. The building have a single nave with side chapels on both sides. The fresco that decorate it back to 1912 while in the side chapels of the transept there are two works by Salvatore Well made ??in the seventeenth century.